This document is originally written by M A Rahim, MA in Economics (University of Winnipeg).
Year of Publication: 2017
©PBSCU Any unauthorized use of this article, including copying or editing is prohibited. If you want to use the article, you need to take permission from us: firstname.lastname@example.org or from the author and you must mention the author's name and the group's name in all cases.
I came in Canada as Visitor to accompany my wife who is an international student in Canada. I applied 7 universities in Canada before coming to Canada and started getting decision from universities when I arrived in Canada. I was waiting for best funding offer to apply for my study permit (Which is I came in Canada as Visitor to accompany my wife who is an international student in Canada. I applied 7 universities in Canada before coming to Canada and started getting decision from universities when I arrived in Canada. I was waiting for best funding offer to apply for my study permit (Which is Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student). I brought all the documents from Bangladesh for study permit.
Here is the step by step online application process that I followed you can also apply paper based which is bit more time consuming:
1. Go to this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-student.asp link and click Find out if you are eligible to apply online . this will take you to another page where you have to answer multiple questions. Answers correctly all the questions. If they satisfy then they will give your “document checklist” at the end of the questions. There will be “personal reference code: BJ29………” keep it safe you will need it.
2. You have to go to this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/account.asp and have to create an online account and have to create an online account and have to create an online account “continue to GCKEY” if you don’t have one .
3. You will reach your profile in CIC website then click “ You will reach your profile in CIC website then click “ You will reach your profile in CIC website then click “visitor permit/study permit or work permit” option. It will take you a new page where they will ask you for the reference code (which you got in first stage). It will take you to the main page of your online application where you have to upload all your necessary documents.
4. You will need to download IMM5709 from that page and fill it up properly. Then upload it in the same section
5. Now you have to upload all of your supporting documents. If you upload your supporting documents in organizing way, it will help the IRCC officer to follow which will reduce the time of your study permit decision.
6. Proof of Means of Financial Support (required): Here you have to show your all sponsor documents in one PDF documents (maximum PDF size is 4 MB). In my case I had 4 sponsor including me and university funding.
What I did, I organize all the documents in order. First I created a “Financial Planning documents” Which is a summary of my all sponsors (maybe you will get a sample from the group), then I attached University funding documents: - Here I included scholarship and TA/TA confirmation documents, third, self-sponsor documents: - Here I attached Bank Statement, Income Tax Certificated, Certified copy of Income tax assessment for last one year. Then to verify my income I attached my job details. I attached my job offer letter, appointment letter, job confirmation letter, salary certificate, one month pay slip.
Fourth, father sponsor documents: - here I attached my father bank statement, Bank solvency certificate, income tax certificate, Certified copy of Income tax assessment for last one year, affidavit of financial sponsor in 200-taka stamp and notarized, my father CA statements.
Last but not least, my wife sponsor documents:-
Here I attached my wife bank statement, last year tax assessment (Canadian) , scholarship documents (to support where this money came from), financial sponsor letter (not in stamp or notarized as it is costly in Canada if you can you can do it) , my wife study permit, wife job documents (offer letter, appointment letter, job confirmation letter/salary certificate / pay slip and Back job confirmation letter ( A letter from company in company letter head where company confirmed that she will join in the same company when she will return to Bangladesh in higher position .
N.B: I attached a documents where I write down “sponsor documents: applicant/university/wife/father” in the first each section of my sponsors document. My sponsor PDF document was110 page long because of 4 sponsor and their documents This part has to be very organized if you have more sponsor.
7. Passport (required): Here I attached my passport page including all visa pages.
8. Family Member Proof of Status (required): Here I included, my Birth certificate, my father passport and name affidavit because of inconsistency of his name and the name that I used in my all documents. Then I included my marriage certificate and nikah nama and my wife birth certificate and my wife passport.
9. Letter of Acceptance (required): Here I attached letter of acceptance from my university and their CIC document (Which they provided to me to apply for study permit)
10. Marriage License/Certificate (required): Here again I attached marriage certificate
11. Digital photo (required): I did not have the digital copy of photo with cic measurement but I had the printed copy, I scanned it and uploaded it. My recommendation to make a digital copy with CIC measurement.
12. Optional Documents: IMM5257: I downloaded and filled it and uploaded it
13. Letter of Explanation: Here I included Study plan, IELTS result, Academic transcripts, Certificates, Training certificates, CV etc
14. I paid $150 online and submitted it. You will get notification in your email account.
Then I went for Road trip to Alberta …ya hoooooo……Waiting …..waiting…..waiting …….After 14 days I got medical call , then after two more days I got new message in my CIC profile then I rushed to login to check out ….Alhamdulillah I got the message that your application has been approved and they said we mailed a secure documents to your address …… I did not get it yet …. There is a strike of Canada post is ongoing …I don’t know how long I have to wait… Still I have to send the medical report.
Timeline of My Application
10 June 2016: Application submitted
24 June 2016: Medical call
28 June 2016: Study permit approved
I am gratefully to this group as I received many help throughout my journey and please keep us in our prayer.